The Health Ministry announced that the number of food poisoning cases in 2017 dropped to nine compared with nearly 20 cases last year, indicating that people have a better understanding of food safety.
Heng Bun Kiet, director of the Health Ministry’s drugs, food, medical equipment and cosmetics department, said on Wednesday that the rate of food poisoning over the past three years has decreased.
There were 33 cases of food poisoning in 2015 and 19 cases in 2016, he added, without specifying the total number of people affected.
“We saw a decrease in food poisoning, which indicates Cambodian people have a higher understanding of sanitation than before,” he said.
However, Mr Bun Kiet appealed to all citizens to eat safe and hygienic foods and choose restaurants or canteens that have sanitary certificates or food safety signs issued by the Health Ministry.
He said the ministry has trained restaurants on the importance of food hygiene.
The owners of about 4,000 restaurants, canteens and street vendors will receive training to create high standards on hygiene to reduce instances of food poisoning, he added.
“Please don’t sell at places where there are a lot of bacteria, such as near sewage or piles of garbage. If they sell near these places, they must clean to maintain hygiene,” he said.
As of this month, according to Mr Bun Kiet, there are about 1,800 – or 48 percent – of 4,000 restaurants and canteens nationwide that have received training or food hygiene certificates and certificates of hygiene principles.