A fire ripped through six houses in Phnom Penh’s Sen Sok district yesterday at about 2.40pm.
Lieutenant Colonel Prom Yorn, chief of the municipal fire department, said all of the houses were completely burned down.
He added that it was really difficult for firefighters to put out the flames because the fire trucks had difficulty reaching the homes due to narrow streets.
“We needed 18 fire engines from around the city to put out the fire, which was extinguished at around 3.15pm,” he said.
No one was injured or killed as the fire swept through the houses, he added.
“Our department cannot confirm the cause of the fire yet and we are now investigating,” Lt Col Yorn said.
Meanwhile, two other houses were destroyed by a blaze in Takeo province’s Tram Kok district on Sunday.
According to a police report, the fire started at about 7.30pm and the blaze tore through wooden houses.
Police said faulty wiring was likely the cause of the fire.
According to the Interior Ministry, there were 612 fires across the kingdom last year. The blazes killed 14 people and injured 54, while 1,341 shops and 760 houses were destroyed.
Last year, the government purchased 113 fire trucks from China that were distributed to provincial police stations across the country to bolster the kingdom’s firefighting capabilities.