Accommodation for a group of migrant workers in Thailand will be rebuilt by their employers after a fire ripped through the rooms, destroying the shelters and the workers belongings on Saturday in Samut Prakan province. Mey Laihouy, one of the workers, said at least 45 Cambodians were working at the chicken meat factories, nearby which their accommodation was burned down by a fire sparked by an electrical fault.
Ms Laihouy said about 18 rooms were destroyed in the blaze, but no one was injured. “The workers’ belongings were destroyed, and so were the rooms,” she said, noting the employers have promised to rebuild the rooms.
Ms Laihouy said local Thai authorities have also provided some food and shelter to the workers in the meantime.