Foreign actors to be banned from TV ads

Sen David / Khmer Times No Comments Share:
Khmer Times

The Minister of Information on Monday said he plans to ban television advertisements that feature foreign actors in order to aid local actors.

Khieu Kanharith made the comments while presiding over the closing ceremony of the Chaktomuk Short Film Festival on Monday evening.

Mr Kanharith said he plans to implement the directive next year, to buttress the income of local actors.

A directive was issued last year for only Khmer shows to be broadcast during primetime hours of 7pm to 9pm, Mr Kanharith said, claiming the next step to bolster the local industry would be to ban adverts featuring foreign actors.

“Cambodian actors, actresses and producers will enjoy more income and market share with more local advertising,” he said. “This will start next year.”

Mr Kanharith said there are currently about 20 Khmer television channels, while the number of local actors, actresses, producers and editors is continuing to grow.

“We will push for more Khmer advertising because now we have enough actors, producers, and video editors,” he said.

Chon Chan Leakena, president of the Cambodia Actor Association, said she appreciated the move.

“We support this plan to help Cambodian actors and actresses,” she said.

Share and Like this post

Related Posts

Previous Article

Truck curb in city for Water Festival

Next Article

Signs to point drivers in the right direction