ana-air canadia-bank Silk-air nissan acleda cab-bank

Six hurt in garment factory blast

Sen David / Khmer Times No Comments Share:
One of the victims was seriosuly hurt after a boiler at the facility overheated. KT/Mai Vireak

Six workers have been injured in a boiler explosion at a garment factory in Phnom Penh’s Por Senchey district.

District police chief Yim Saran said one of the workers was hurt seriously in the blast at Qing Xun factory.

One of the victims was a Chinese national.

The facility in Chom Chao commune’s Toul Pongro village was badly damaged.

Commune police chief Theng Kosal said two other factories nearby were also damaged in the explosion, which was caused by the boiler overheating.

The Garment Manufacturers Association in Cambodia said the factory was not one of its members, but expressed sympathy for those injured.

GMAC also said it hoped the factory was properly registered with the National Social Security Fund, which provides injured workers with access to medical treatment.

Two factories nearby were also damaged due to the strength of the blast. KT/Mai Vireak

GMAC urged its members to step up safety procedures to avoid such incidents, saying it was committed to working closely with all stakeholders to bring about safer working conditions in member factories.

Pav Sina, the president of the Collective Union of Movement of Workers, said there had been a spate of factory boiler explosions in recent times.

He said the Ministry of Labour in April issued guidelines to all factories on taking care of boilers and ensuring safety. “The factory owners must take care of their boilers and obey Labour Ministry rules to ensure safety for workers,” he said.

“There have been many cases of boiler explosions recently. It will affect workers’ morale if they are worried about poorly maintained boilers.”

A boiler explosion last week injured one person at the Bright Sky factory, also in Por Senchey district.

In April, two boiler explosions in Meanchey district killed two people and injured four. Six workers were injured the same month when a gas-fuelled steamer exploded at the Sc Wado electronics factory in Poipet town.

In March, one garment worker died and seven were injured in a boiler explosion at Zhen Tai garment factory in Sen Sok district.

Related Posts

Previous Article

Kheng pushes for checkpoint curbs

Next Article

EU agrees to observe election