ana-air canadia-bank Silk-air nissan acleda cab-bank

Policeman held over karaoke shoot-out

Buth Reaksmey Kongkea / Khmer Times No Comments Share:
Captain San Borey holds his weapon. Supplied

A Phnom Penh Municipal Police officer was arrested on Saturday night over the shooting death of a market security officer in Stung Meanchey district.

The killing took place at a restaurant in Trea village.

Meanchey district police officer Sok Sareth said Captain San Borey, 38, an officer with the municipal minor crime unit, was accused of intentional murder.

He was arrested the same evening after firing three rounds at Chey Bunthan, 50, a security officer in Stung Meanchey Market over a dispute about drinking and singing karaoke songs at the restaurant.

“Capt Borey has been temporarily detained for questioning and further investigation at the district police station,” Mr Sareth said.

The gun used in the fatal shooting. Supplied

“We will send him to court after police have completed questioning him and finished the investigation,” he added.

Lay Bun, a police officer in Stung Meanchey commune, said witnesses told them that before the murder, Capt Borey and the security guard went to drink beer and sing karaoke at the restaurant.

He said that two parties sitting at different tables drank beer and sang karaoke songs from 3pm into the evening.

He said that Capt Borey and Mr Bunthan got into an argument after the victim criticised the suspect’s singing.

Capt Borey got angry. He ran to fetch his pistol from his nearby home and went back to the restaurant.

“When the victim, who was drunk, saw Capt Borey holding the gun and walking toward his table, he thought the suspect wanted to kill him,” Mr Bun said.  “He ran to seize gun from him.

“The suspect, who also was drunk, thought the victim was coming to beat him.  He fired three bullets into the victim’s chest and head, killing him immediately. Capt Borey fled but police soon arrested him.”

Related Posts

Previous Article

Pair jailed after kidnap

Next Article

Killer convicted for his second murder