ana-air canadia-bank Silk-air nissan acleda cab-bank

Parasitic pig kills eight villagers

Mom Kunthear / Khmer Times No Comments Share:
A further 20 villagers were hospitalised after eating the pig. Supplied

Health Ministry and Kampong Thom provincial authorities are pleading with people to not eat wild pigs after eight people died and more than 20 were hospitalised from consuming a wild hog infected with parasites in Sandan district.

Ly Sovann, Health Ministry spokesman and director of the Communicable Disease Control Department, said a group of villagers in the district consumed the wild hog meat in August and September, and began becoming ill from the parasites throughout this month.

“They ate wild pig mixed with vegetables, but the meat was not cooked enough,” he said. “They did not know that the pig had a parasitic disease.”

Mr Sovann said the parasite does not transmit from person to person and can be prevented by changing consumption practices.

Some people still believe that the blood and meat of wild animals will help them get more powerful, he noted.

“Both local and wild animal meat must be well-cooked before eating, but I do not encourage anyone to eat wild animals,” Mr Sovann said. “We have educated the villagers in the district not to eat raw meat and to be careful with food.”

From September 14 to 21, eight people died from consuming the wild hog and 20 were hospitalised, including 13 in Phnom Penh.

Long Kisoeung, Sandan district governor, advised residents via his Facebook page yesterday to be careful of what they eat.

“Do not eat meat that is not well cooked,” he said.

In the first eight months of 2017, 947 people become sick and four died in 28 cases of food poisoning and two cases of wine poisoning, Mr Sovann added. In the first eight months of 2016, 1,104 people were fell ill and 15 died from similar cases of food and wine poisoning.

Related Posts

Previous Article

CNRP commune chief jailed over ‘threats’

Next Article

Army launches recruitment drive