A 28-year-old garment worker died yesterday after fainting on her way into the Star Fuyu Garment Company Limited in Meanchey district’s Stung Meanchey commune.
Moa Savoeun, Stung Meanchey commune police chief, said garment worker Phon Saran, from Prey Veng province, fainted after scanning her ID card to enter the factory.
Mr Savoeun said her colleagues helped her and that she was sent to hospital, but died before arrival.
“Police examined her body and got a report from the hospital,” he said. “She died due to a heart attack. The victim looked so weak and pale. She was malnourished.
“Her friends said she always chose to save her money rather than spend it on food and often drank energy drinks instead.”
Chhorn Sokha, who handles garment sector issues for rights group Central, said the company might be liable.
“We have not yet investigated the case, but there are many cases of workers fainting and some of them then dying,” she said. “The companies must be held responsible.”
Company representatives could not be reached for comment yesterday.
Last month, garment worker Hav Srey Neat died after fainting as she disembarked the truck that had carried her to work.
According to a recent National Social Security Fund report, the number of garment workers who fainted in the first half of the year rose by 39 percent, or 117 workers, compared with the same period last year.