The Health Ministry’s Communicable Disease Control Department has issued a reminder to citizens to eat properly cleaned, cooked and stored foods over the Pchum Ben festival in order to avoid food poisoning.
Ly Sovann, the department’s director, yesterday said that as villagers celebrate Pchum Ben festival, it is important they be vigilant on what foods they eat at different celebrations.
“In order to prevent the spread of viruses resulting from negligent consumption of food, we are reminding people to eat foods that have been properly stored, cleaned and cooked well,” he said.
“Symptoms of food poisoning usually include vomiting and diarrhoea, which can even cause death,” he added.
Mr Sovann suggested people use clean water to wash food, wash their hands with soap before and during food preparation, and before and after defecation.
“If we keep the food in a cooling system, it has to be under 5 Celsius,” he added. “If we store the food in the heating system, it should be more than 60 Celsius, and do not use expired food.”
Earlier this month, 15 people in Mondulkiri province’s Keo Seima district suffered food poisoning.