ana-air canadia-bank Silk-air nissan acleda cab-bank

Freedom Park finally cleared of car brokers

Sen David / Khmer Times No Comments Share:
Brokers had been selling cars around Freedom Park for more than a decade until the recent crackdown. KT/Mai Vireak

The Daun Penh district governor yesterday said his authorities had successfully carried out an order from City Hall last week to clear all cars for sale around Freedom Park.

City Hall gave district authorities seven days to ensure all car brokers removed their vehicles from the perimeter of the park to ease traffic congestion.

District governor Sok Penh Vuth said yesterday 90 percent of the cars for sale had been removed, and that the remaining 10 percent would be gone by today.

“We are all happy to see the brokers took their cars away from this park peacefully without any protests in order to ensure public order and the beauty of the park,” he said.

He added authorities would be again visiting the park today to ensure no brokers returned.

If any did, they would be fined, he said. “We will not allow brokers to park here again,” he said.

“Some residents are concerned this is just a short-term solution, but I want to inform them this change will stick forever.”

Sin Sintha, a local resident strolling through the park, said the brokers were selling cars in the area for at least 10 years and should have been kicked out long ago.

“They were using state land around the park to do their business,” she said.

Sam Oeun, 42, another resident, said he hoped the governor’s promise that the brokers would not return remained true.

“I appeal to the authorities to implement this action forever, not only a short time,” he said. “The area has big roads, but when brokers park there to sell cars, it makes the road small and difficult to travel.”

Related Posts

Previous Article

Woman arrested for selling ‘harmful’ lotion

Next Article

Church minister drowns as car plunges off ferry slipway