BARCELONA (Agencies) – The man who rammed a car into crowds in Barcelona last Thursday, identified as 22-year-old Younes Abouyaaqoub, fled the scene on foot before later stabbing a man to death and taking his car to escape, police in Catalonia said on Friday.
Police are still searching for Mr Abouyaaqoub and released photos of him yesterday. Mr Abouyaaqoub is “dangerous and could be armed”, police said. Magistrates have sought a Europe-wide arrest warrant for the suspect, a judicial source said. Police say he may have crossed the border into France
Thirteen people died in the van rampage on Las Ramblas, while another woman was killed in a separate attack by suspected Islamist militants hours later in Cambrils.
Police now consider the death toll from the attacks stands at 15, including the Spanish man stabbed in his car as he was parking.
They believe Mr Abouyaaqoub took the car, rammed into officials at a police checkpoint in the city and then abandoned the vehicle with the dead body in it.
Police had fired at the car when it forced the checkpoint, injuring an officer, and initially thought the man they found in the car had been killed by the gunfire. An investigation later revealed he had been stabbed.
Of the 120 injured on Las Ramblas, nine are still in a critical condition in hospital.