US, allies slam Chinese island-building

AFP / Khmer Times No Comments Share:
Philippine Foreign Secretary Alan Peter Cayetano delivers a speech during the launch of the ASEAN Institute for Peace and Reconciliation. AFP

MANILA (AFP) – The United States, Australia and Japan yesterday denounced Beijing’s island-building and militarisation of the South China Sea, in contrast to the increasingly tepid response from Southeast Asian nations over the festering issue.

China claims nearly all of the sea, through which $5 trillion in annual shipping trade passes and which is believed to sit atop vast oil and gas deposits. Its sweeping claims overlap with Vietnam, the Philippines, Malaysia and Brunei – all members of the Asean bloc – as well as Taiwan.

But in recent years Beijing has managed to weaken regional resistance by courting some Asean members.

On Sunday China scored a coup when Asean ministers issued a diluted statement on the dispute and agreed to its terms on talks, during a security forum which the bloc is hosting in Manila.

China insists that a much-delayed code of conduct between it and Asean members over the sea must not be legally binding, a demand to which Southeast Asian countries have so far acquiesced.

But in a joint statement after their foreign ministers met on the sidelines of the same gathering, the US, Japan and Australia delivered a noticeably sterner rebuke to Beijing.

Criticising ongoing “land reclamation, construction of outposts, militarisation of disputed features” in the disputed sea, the trio said any code of conduct must be “legally binding, meaningful and effective”, a demand noticeably absent from the Asean statement.

The three nations also called on China and the Philippines to respect last year’s international arbitration ruling which dismissed much of Beijing’s claim in the sea.

The US, Australia and Japan oppose Beijing building giant artificial islands that could be used as military bases, fearing it will eventually establish de facto control over the waters.

China insists the three countries should stay out of what it says are purely bilateral disputes with its neighbours. Foreign Minister Wang Yi hit out at the trio yesterday, describing their joint statement as a “negative signal”.

“They are not seeing the positive changes that is happening in the South China Sea,” he said.

Share and Like this post

Related Posts

Previous Article

North Korea ready to teach US ‘severe lesson’

Next Article

12 years’ jail sought for Samsung’s Lee