The Apsara Authority and Siem Reap provincial hall yesterday said illegal constructions in Angkor Archaeological Park would be demolished during the second week of August.
The Authority and provincial officials have been threatening to demolish the buildings for weeks but no concrete action has been taken.
Yesterday, a joint statement from both said their patience with villagers living in or using the illegal structures to sell goods had run out and informed them demolishing crews would arrive to knock down the structures soon.
The two institutions said this was the final warning to the owners.
If they do not remove the buildings by themselves, authorities would arrive on August 9 and not be held responsible for any damages incurred during demolition.
“At the expiry of the above-mentioned date, the Siem Reap provincial administration and the Apsara Authority will proceed with the removal of illegal constructions from August 10, following procedures without being responsible for any damages,” the statement said.
On July 12, the Apsara Authority and the Siem Reap provincial hall threatened to demolish the 521 illegal constructions during the third week of last month.
Apsara Authority spokesman Long Kosal said yesterday that authorities had hoped villagers would remove the structures themselves after the July 12 warning, which has only happened for 10 cases.
“Residents, please follow this notice, otherwise, you face the risk of damages,” he added.