MONTREAL (Reuters) – Qatar Airways is expected to have access to three contingency routes over international waters in early August, after a UN-led meeting on Monday discussed air corridors for Doha following a rift with its neighbours, a source familiar with the matter said.
The closed-door meeting with the UN aviation agency’s governing council in Montreal, discussed contingency routes that had been planned as part of a preliminary agreement reached earlier this month, but not yet opened to Qatar-registered planes.
Qatar had asked the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) to intervene after its national carrier was denied access to the airspace of Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Egypt and the United Arab Emirates as part of economic sanctions.
The four countries severed ties with Qatar on June 5, accusing it of supporting terrorism, something Doha denies. The closing of their airspace has forced state-owned Qatar Airways to fly longer, more expensive routes, prompting Doha to push for international corridors over Gulf waters currently managed by the United Arab Emirates.
“Within a week or so they should have new routes,” said the source, who spoke on condition of anonymity because the talks are private.On Sunday, Saudi state news agency SPA cited a statement from the Saudi aviation authority saying they had already agreed to nine emergency air corridors, which were identified under ICAO supervision, and would be open from August 1.
However, Qatar’s transport and communications ministry and its aviation authority denied the four countries had taken such a decision, the state news agency QNA said.
In comments to Qatar-based Al Jazeera, Qatar’s Transport and Information Minister said the boycotting countries had discriminated against Doha in violation of an international agreement guaranteeing overflights.
“These countries have used this right arbitrarily and imposed it on aircraft registered only in the State of Qatar,” Jassim bin Saif al-Sulaiti said.