Kampong Thom provincial police yesterday arrested a man who posted a false story of child kidnapping on Facebook, just days after the Interior Ministry attempted to quell fears spreading among parents over the dozens of posts appearing online.
In response to the spike in Facebook posts, the Interior Ministry two weeks ago created two hotlines for tips to police to quicken response times to kidnappings.
National deputy police chief Kirth Chantharith on Thursday said that not all of the Facebook posts were accurate, but insisted police would investigate them all to bring real kidnappers to justice as well as fear-mongers.
Yesterday, Kampong Thom provincial police arrested Nay Sineng, who posted on Facebook a day earlier that a child had been abducted for organ harvesting.
“We have already sent him to the court because the information he posted was fake,” said deputy police chief Ke Khanara.
“He posted the fake information which also stated that the perpetrator was Vietnamese. There is no such case.”
Kompong Thom police chief Ouk Kosal said locals got their hands on the accused man and beat him before police could escort him away.
“They beat the suspect causing serious injuries especially because they believed that he was involved in the case of kidnapping, which was false to begin with,” he said.
Justice Ministry spokesman Kim Santepheap yesterday called on social media users not to distribute or publish fake information, leading to chaos in society.
“Those who disseminate such information will face the law over their dissemination,” he said.
“Please help to prevent the act of falsifying information that aims to cause chaos in our society.”