Rutherford pulls out of world championships

Reuters / Khmer Times No Comments Share:
A file photo of Rutherford at an Olympic Victory Parade. Jim Thurston/CC BY SA

LONDON (Reuters) – World long jump champion Greg Rutherford will not defend his crown in London next month after being forced to withdraw from the championships through injury, British Athletics announced yesterday.

The former Olympic champion had been hoping to return to the stadium where he famously won his gold on ‘Super Saturday’ in 2012 but has had to admit defeat to a series of injury woes over the season. He said he felt “gutted” by having to pull out.

“In the last few days I have had to accept an unfortunate reality. I did everything I could, but a string of injuries at the worst possible time means I will be unable to defend my world title in London,” Rutherford said in a British Athletics statement.

“With an incredible start to the year in training, and very promising early season form, I have had a difficult series of setbacks as the season progressed.

“Most recently, a badly damaged ankle ligament and a sportsman’s hernia really put paid to my plans. The injuries have taken longer to heal than we hoped, and I have been unable to even jump at all in training, let alone compete.”

Share and Like this post

Related Posts

Previous Article

Chelsea star Kenedy is sent home

Next Article

Zaripov is suspended for doping in KHL