cellcard cellcard cellcard

Blaze guts large furniture shop in BKK1

Khann Chanvirak / Khmer Times Share:
Firefighters check the damaged Royal Casa Furniture shop in Phnom Penh yesterday. KT/Tep Sony

A huge blaze yesterday gutted a large furniture shop located along Monivong Boulevard and destroyed everything inside.

Brigadier General Chheang Phannara, Phnom Penh fire police department deputy chief, identified the premises as Royal Casa Furniture in Boeng Keng Kang I commune.

He said that according to the shop owner, the fire was caused by an electrical short circuit which occurred on the ground floor of the two-storey building.

“We have not yet calculated the extent of the damage, but all the furniture inside was completely destroyed,” Brig Gen Phannara said. “I wish to call on all people in Phnom Penh and the provinces to be very careful in case of fire and also to switch off the electricity before leaving their premises.”

“Premises must also have a fire extinguisher which can help fight the fire immediately before firefighters arrive at the scene. This is because a fire can destroy homes and property in an instant,” he added.

The Fire and Rescue Police Department identified the shop owners as Chinese nationals Chen Ting, 32 and his wife Lin Juan, 31.

It said two Chinese employees suffered minor injuries in the blaze.

Deputy district governor Sin Ratana said yesterday evening that the fire occurred at about 11 am inside the shop.

She said the fire was put out at about 1pm.

Colonel Prom Yorn, chief of the municipal fire police department, said 29 fire trucks were used to extinguish the blaze. Fifteen from Phnom Penh Municipal Police, four from the Ministry of Interior, three from Koh Pich, six from Chroy Changva district and one from the Cambodia Brewery Company were dispatched.


Related Posts

Previous Article

Cambodia, Vietnam and Laos forces to hold joint rescue drills

Next Article

Temple repairs and additions require permission