cellcard cellcard

Foreigners stand trial for importing $900,000 into Cambodia

Buth Reaksmey Kongkea / Khmer Times Share:
Li Zizheng Zheng, centre, one of the of three Chinese men accused of trying to bring in $900,000 into the Kingdom without proof of the money’s source. KT/ Siv Channa

The Phnom Penh Municipal Court today began the trial of three Chinese men accused of trying to bring in $900,000 into the Kingdom without proof of the money’s source.

 

Judge Sour Linna identified them as Yang Yongwei, 26, Huang Canming, 27, and Li Zizheng Zheng, 32, all tourists.

 

She said they were charged with “laundry” under Articles 23 and 27 of the Cambodian Law on Anti-Money Laundering and Financing. If convicted all three face between one and five years in prison each and their money will be confiscated and transferred into the Cambodian budget.

 

Judge Linna said the accused were arrested at about 5 pm on July 9 last year at Phnom Penh International Airport in Por Senchey district. They were arrested after they had flown in from Hong Kong.

 

“They were arrested because they brought nearly $1 million in cash into the Kingdom and could not provide a clear source for the money,” she said. “After their arrest, police confiscated $200,000 from Yang Yongwei, $300,000 from Huang Canming, and $400, 000 from Li Zizheng Zheng.”

 

At today’s trial, the court completed questioning Yang.

 

He admitted committing the offence, saying the money confiscated from him belonged to his elder-cousin named “Puli”, who owned a fruit company in Hong Kong.

Previous Article

Kingdom sees silver lining amid the coronavirus pandemic

Next Article

About 400 workers protest to demand missing wages