A 58-year-old Cambodian in Sihanoukville province, tested positive for COVID-19 on April 2, has successfully been treated and has recovered yesterday.
The Ministry of Health in a statement this morning said that 120th recovery out of 122 once active cases, now leaves just two active cases, one each in Benteay Meanchey and Kompong Cham province.
This is a more than 98 percent recovery rate and barring any new cases, which has not been detected in the past 20 days, and with the imminent recovery of the last two active cases Cambodia would probably be the first country in the world to achieve 100 percent recovery of active cases within a short period of time.
The recovered 58-year-old Cambodian man had been with direct contact with a group of French tourists who had been infected with the virus and to date, remained the biggest cluster infections in the country with 40 cases.
All of the French cases have been discharged and most of them have believed to have already made their way home.
A Ministry of Health source said that Cambodia’s public health officials, especially front line personnel had gained immense knowledge and capacity in attending to the cases in the 13 provinces to the extend that they have treated and seen the recovery of 120 cases.
They had been aided by the WHO, Chinese medical personnel, CDC USA and material assistance from many countries.
Now the challenge remains to opening up the economic activities step by step to halt a possible meltdown of the economy that could push the nation into serious recession which in turn could lead to mass job losses besides the more than 100,000 jobs lost the garment sector, 90,000 migrant workers from Thailand, tens of thousands of hotel and service industry workers and many more tens of thousands in the informal sector who are dependent on the formal sector for their livelihood.