cellcard cellcard

Eight Chinese men placed under quarantine in Koh Kong

Khuon Narim / Khmer Times Share:
Health worker checks temperature of one of the eight nationals from China. Koh Santepheap

Eight Chinese nationals and a Cambodian driver were forced to have a mandatory 14-day quarantine as a precaution while the Kingdom controls the spread of the virus, officials said.

Tov Moeng, director of Koh Kong provincial health department, said local authorities yesterday rounded up eight Chinese hydrodam workers and a Cambodian driver and placed them under a 14-day quarantine in Koh Kong province.

Mr Moeng said the eight Chinese men arrived at the Phnom Penh International Airport on April 13 and travelled by a minivan to Tatai Hydropower dam in Koh Kong district’s Tatai commune.

The  men hail from Hubei province, China, where the coronarvirus first broke out.

When asked why they were allowed into Koh Kong province, Mr Moeng said: “They all have health certificates which cleared them from the COVID-19 and they have work permits. That’s why they were allowed to travel to work at the company.”

“They are quarantined at a building at the Tatai Hydropower dam,” Mr Moeng said, adding that health officials yesterday checked their body temperature and found no symptoms of the virus.

“We are observing them daily. If someone’s temperature exceeds 38C, we will take their samples for testing,” he said.

Eight Chinese nationals from Hubei Province placed in quarantine. Koh Santepheap

Sao Wathana, director of the Phnom Penh International Airport, could not be reached for comment.

Sok Sokty, spokesman for Koh Kong provincial hall, said yesterday 21 Chinese workers at the Union Development Group were advised to self-isolate after their travel from Phnom Penh to Koh Kong province.

Ly Sovann, director of the Communicable Disease Control Department, said during a press conference on Monday, a total of 266 people remain under quarantine in health facilities in the Kingdom, including 86 people who are at high risk of infection.

Health ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine declined to comment, saying she has not yet received any information of these two cases.

Foreigners wishing to enter the Kingdom amid the global coronavirus outbreak are required to self-quarantine for two weeks after arriving in the country, according to General Keo Vanthan, spokesman for the General Immigration Department.

“Foreigners must be certified they are COVID-19 free,” Gen Vanthan said last month. “They must have a $50,000 health insurance policy. They must also be quarantined for 14 days [here].”

Gen Vanthan said immigration officials implemented these requirements on March 31.

 

 

Previous Article

PM supports Asean  virus fund initiative

Next Article

Fourteen more recover from coronavirus