The Health Ministry announced today that a 35-year-old French national tested positive for COVID-19 in Phnom Penh, the eighth case of COVID-19 detected in Cambodia.
He is now being quarantined at the Khmer-Soviet Friendship hospital.
According to an announcement by the Ministry of Health, the Frenchman travelled through Singapore and arrived in Cambodia on March 14, along with his wife and a child.
The Frenchman, his wife and four-month-old baby travelled from France to Singapore on March 13, and due to his fever, he was tested on the night of March 13 by Singapore.
“While awaiting his test result, he was informed by Singaporean doctor that he cannot travel anywhere. However, when there was a shift of doctors, he was informed that he could leave and his test result will be informed later,” said Health Ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine.
The statement said that he made a trip to Phnom Penh on March 14 and arrived at Phnom Penh International Airport on 8:30 am on the same day.
It said that after he tested positive for COVID-19, the ministry found him on the same night.
His wife and child are being monitored for 14 days at their relative’s house in Chamkar Mon district.
“The result shows on March 15 that the 35-year-old French man tested positive, while his wife and child still need to wait for their result,” Ms Vandine said, adding that now health officials are looking for those who have contact with the Frenchman.
This now brings the total of COVID cases up to eight for Cambodia:
1. A 60-year-old Chinese man who tested positive on 27 January when he flew from Wuhan to Sihanoukville. The patient recovered and returned to his home
2. A 38-year-old Cambodian man in Siem Reap on 7 March, who is believed to have contracted the virus from a Japanese businessman. He is now hospitalised in Siem Reap hospital.
3. A 65-year-old British woman, a passenger on Viking Cruise Journey riverboat, was tested positive on 10 March 2020 in Kampong Cham province. The patient contracted the virus from a Vietnamese woman on a flight from London to Hanoi. She then flew from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh before embarking on a cruise from Ho Chi Minh to Phnom Penh and then to Kompong Cham. The Viking Cruise Journey riverboat is now quarantined in Kampong Cham.
4. A 73-year-old British man on Viking Cruise Journey tested positive on 11 March in Kompong Cham.
5. A 69-year old British woman on Viking Cruise Journey tested positive on 11 March in Kompong Cham.
6. A 49-year-old Canadian, believed to be a teacher at the Canadian International School in Phnom Penh tested positive on 13 March in Phnom Penh. The patient is believed to have travelled from Thailand
7. A 33-year old Belgian tested positive on 13 March in Phnom Penh.
8. The latest case, a 35-year-old French man in Phnom Pen, who tested positive on the 14th of March.
- Tags: COVID-19 in Cambodia