Worry can cause serious negative impacts such as mental breakdown, teeth decay, high blood pressure and digestive issues. Overall worry doesn’t remove your difficulties, however, it does remove your peace. This is the primary message of the book.
If you are looking to get rid of your worries then this is the book for you. It helps by giving essential strategies to dissect stress, step-by-step.
The author Dale Carnegie begins logically by looking through the causes behind people’s worry and taking a contextual investigation.
In the book, Carnegie quotes: “I can honestly say that I am glad that I had the breakdown. Because I found out the hard way what power our thoughts can have over our mind and our body.”
In this quote Carnegie, wants the reader to know that you can make your thoughts work for you not against you. It is not an outward situation that has caused your suffering but what you allow your thoughts to be of the situation.
“Nothing can bring you peace but yourself.”
Another quote in the book is from William James: “We cannot instantly change our emotions just by making up our minds too. But that can change our actions and when we change our actions, we will automatically change our feelings.” Carnegie mentioned one programme called “Let’s fight for our happiness!” It is one daily programme of cheerful and constructive thinking which is entitled “Just for Today”.
To eliminate your worries and embrace what the French call “la joie de vivre” (joy of living). Here are some useful tips below:
- Just for today, I will be
happy: You are happy when
you can make up your mind
because happiness is from
within, it is not a matter of
- Just for today, I try to adjust
myself to what is: You will
not try to adjust every-
thing to your own desires.
- Just for today, I will take
care of my body: You will
do exercise and are grateful
- Just for today, I will try to
strengthen my mind: You
will learn something useful.
- Just for today, I will
exercise my soul: You will do at least two things you
don’t want to do.
- Just for today, I will be agreeable: You will look as well as you can.
- Just for today, I will try to live through this day and not to tackle all my life problems at once: You can do things for twelve hours that would appall you if you had to keep them up for a lifetime.
- Just for today, I have a programme: You will write down what you expect to do every hour.
- Just for today, I will have a quiet half-hour all by my self and relax: You can do meditation to reflect upon yourself.
- Just for today, I will be unafraid: You will not be afraid to be happy, yet to enjoy what is beautiful.
Think and act cheerfully, and you will feel cheerful.●
- Tags: books