The Anti-Corruption Unit has cleared Brigadier General Born Bin, Banteay Meanchey provincial military police commander, over an allegation that he took a bribe to free a group of drug offenders in 2017.
An ACU report on Monday said preliminary investigations showed that Brig Gen Bin was not involved in the drug case which took place before he had been appointed to his position.
The report noted the accusation came from an anonymous complaint, which was filed to frame him for allegedly refusing to help a group of people arrested over a $200,000 theft in the province in June this year
In a complaint to ACU dated August 6, which went viral over social media, Brig Gen Bin, provincial court prosecutor Meas Chanpiseth, his deputy Teng Samai and the parents of drug offender Rong Veasna were accused of systematic conspiracy.
The complaint said Brig Gen Bin had intervened in the case and freed three out of seven people who were arrested during a drug bust in 2017, during which police seized an unspecified amount of drugs and weapons.
Only five people were convicted after a trial in January 2018.
The report said because the information from the anonymous complaint was not clear, the ACU decided not to open an official investigation but instead collected information to check the facts.
It said the ACU found that a group of people accused of stealing $200,000 were behind the anonymous complaint.
“They confessed that they framed Brig Gen Born Bin because he did not help them when they asked him to intervene in the case,” the report said. “They were charged with theft with aggravating circumstances in June 2019.”
The report said that the investigation showed that the drug crackdown referred to in the complaint had taken place on March 19, 2017 and was done by provincial police, not the provincial military police.
It noted that Brig Gen Bin was not the provincial military police commander then.
“The ACU decided to not open an investigation into the accusation against Brig Gen Born Bin,” the report said. “The ACU is still continuing to seek clarification from provincial prosecutor Meas Chanpiseth on whether he was involved with this case.”
Earlier this month, the provincial court also issued a statement to clarify the complaint made to the ACU.
The provincial court said that out of the seven people involved in the 2017 drug case, two women were freed after the court found them to be innocent.
It noted that Mr Veasna had been convicted of illegal possession of weapons and sentenced to one-and-a-half years, but his jail term was suspended by the court. Only four people were therefore jailed for between 22 to 25 years after being convicted in the case.