The Education Ministry yesterday said that this year’s national high school examination papers from 202 centres throughout the Kingdom will be stored in a safe place in Phnom Penh before they are marked.
Ministry spokesman Ros Soveacha yesterday said that papers from some centres near the capital had already arrived for storage and those from provinces would arrive by the evening.
“It depends on how close or far the examination centres are from Phnom Penh. The provinces next to Phnom Penh have already brought boxes of the papers and the others are expected to arrive by this evening,” he said. “So the boxes from all provinces will arrive in to be kept safely in the capital today.”
Mr Soveacha said that the ministry’s working groups have cooperated with relevant authorities for the papers to be escorted to Phnom Penh to prevent any untoward incident.
Ung Ngor Hok, Examination Department director, yesterday said that the papers will be marked from Sunday until Wednesday.
The examination results will be announced in Phnom Penh and Kandal province on September 10 and the other provinces on September 11.
The two-day national high school examination ended successfully on Tuesday with the Education Ministry reporting only three cases of cheating out of the 117,043 candidates throughout the Kingdom.
The ministry also said that there were 1,838 absentees and that one candidate was disqualified for arriving late.
The ministry said three students were automatically failed after being caught bringing in mobile phones and answer papers into their examination rooms, adding that in Siem Reap province a candidate was disqualified for arriving late.
It said 152 candidates suffered from health problems, but most were able to continue sitting their papers after receiving first aid. The report added that 11 seriously-ill candidates were unable to continue after being sent to hospital.
The ministry noted there was rainfall in Preah Vihear, Stung Treng, Ratanakiri and Koh Kong provinces on Tuesday, but exam centres were unaffected.
After the examinations ended, Education Minister Hang Chuon Naron and ministry officials on Tuesday evening released a video thanking the education department officials at all levels and other relevant authorities for their roles in the examination process.