More than 100 stalls were razed during a fire at a market in Kampot province’s Toek Chhou district on Wednesday night.
Major General Mao Chanmathurith, provincial police chief, yesterday said 147 out of 187 stalls were razed during the blaze.
“The fire occurred around 8pm on Wednesday and firefighters managed to put it out at 2am today [yesterday],” he said. “Luckily no one died or was injured in the blaze.”
Maj Gen Chanmathurith said the blaze is believed to have been caused by an electrical short circuit because no one was in the market when it broke out, noting that police are still investigating the case.
“Although no one was injured in the incident, the losses caused by the fire was massive,” he noted.
Captain Sou Bunthoeun, deputy chief of district police, yesterday said that his officers, local authority officials and the stall owners collected salvageable items from the debris and are cleaning up the area so that the stalls could be rebuilt.
“It is a privately-run market, so the victims are clearing the debris so that they will be able to rebuild their stalls,” he said. “A lot of goods stored in the stalls were completely destroyed in the blaze and we are meeting the victims to estimate the extent of the damage.”
A police officer who took part fighting the blaze yesterday said five fire trucks with 35 tanks of water were used in the operation.
Provincial Governor Cheav Tay, who is also the honorary president of Cambodian Red Cross Kampot branch, yesterday morning led a team to visit the 147 stall owners and provided some donations.