The government has set a goal to end child labour in the Kingdom’s brick-manufacturing sector by next year.
Labour Ministry spokesman Heng Sour yesterday said that it had already issued two announcements, one early this year and the other on June 5, to remind all employers in the brick manufacturing sector of the laws prohibiting the use of child labour.
He noted that the ministry on Monday also held a workshop to discuss measures to prevent the use of child labour in the brick manufacturing sector in the capital and provinces.
“We will start inspecting brick manufacturing sites throughout the Kingdom from now until October to educate employers and workers on the labour laws and remind them that child labour is strictly banned,” Mr Sour said. “After the inspections we will issue a report to the public on our findings.”
He said that there are 427 brick manufacturing facilities across the country and the ministry’s officials will inspect all of them.
“We are going all out to meet our target of having no child labour in the brick manufacturing sector by 2020,” Mr Sour noted. “Those who use child labour and any person, including brick manufacturing facility owners, supervisors and parents who bring children into the production lines will be committing a serious criminal offence.”
He added that the public, especially the media, could play an important role to help the ministry meet its 2020 target by disseminating information that it is illegal to have children working in the brick manufacturing sector.
Mr Sour appealed to people who come across cases of child labour in the sector to report the matter to the authorities.
“We all have to join together to eliminate the use of child labour in the brick manufacturing sector,” he added.