PHNOM PENH, June 11 (Xinhua) — Cambodia reported 39 landmine casualties in the first three months of 2015, a 35 percent drop compared with 60 casualties over the same period last year, according to the latest report released on Thursday.
During the January-March period this year, five people were killed, down from nine deaths over the same period last year, said the report of the Cambodian Mine Action and Victim Assistance Authority, adding that 34 others were either injured or amputated, down from 51.
It said 87 percent of the victims were male.
According to the report, from 1979 to March 2015, landmines and unexploded ordnance had killed 19,710 people and either injured or amputated 44,797 others.
Cambodia is one of the world’s worst countries affected by landmines and unexploded ordnance as the result of three decades of war and internal conflicts from the mid-1960s to 1998.
The Cambodian Mine Action Center said the Southeast Asian country needs around 50 million U.S. dollars per year until 2020 to entirely get rid of all types of anti-personnel mines.