cellcard cellcard

Man sentenced to eight years for raping stepdaughter

Buth Reaksmey Kongkea / Khmer Times Share:

Phnom Penh Municipal Court yesterday convicted and sentenced a man to eight years in jail for raping his 12-year-old stepdaughter in Russey Keo district last year.

Presiding Judge Duch Sarin convicted Tum Sereyvy, 31, a dried duck vendor from Tuol Sangke I commune in Phnom Penh’s Russey Keo district.

Judge Sarin said the victim was Mr Sreyvy’s 12-year-old stepdaughter who lived with him.

“According to the hearing and the evidence as well as the accused’s confession, the court finds the accused guilty,” Judge Sarin said. “Therefore, the court has decided to sentence him to eight years in prison.”

Judge Sarin said the accused was charged with rape with aggravating circumstances and was arrested on July 13 last year.

Judge Sarin noted that the accused unofficially married Sreymach, 35, a widow, in 2017.

He said that Ms Sreymach has three children from her previous marriage, including two daughters and one son. They all lived together in a rental house in Russey Keo district’s Tuol Sangke I commune, he added.

Judge Sarin said that at about 1pm on July 12 last year, Mr Sereyvy pretended to be sick and stayed home, noting that his eldest stepdaughter was the only one home with him.

Judge Sarin said Mr Sereyvy asked her to give him a massage and to coin him.

“When the victim was coining and massaging him, the accused took hold of her and raped her,” Judge Sarin said. “After raping her, he told her not to tell her mother or anyone else and threatened to beat her if she did.”

Judge Sarin said that the victim did not tell anyone what happened that day because she was afraid. However, he noted that her mother became suspicious when she did not come out of the room the next day.

After her mother questioned her, the victim finally told her the truth, he added.

Judge Sarin noted that Ms Sreymach became very angry with Mr Sreyvy and took her daughter to the district police to file a complaint against him.

The accused was arrested later that day on July 13 in his home in accordance with the complaint filed.

Speaking outside the courtroom yesterday, Mr Sreyvy said he did not accept his punishment and would appeal to higher court to reduce his sentence.

“I did not rape her. She had sex with me voluntarily,” Mr Sreyvy said. “But the court has sentenced me to eight years in jail. I do not agree with my sentence because the sentence is too heavy.”

He added that his wife divorced him when he was arrested last year.

Previous Article

Tea Banh in Singapore for Security Summit

Next Article

Workers’ rights groups hand over petition to government, business groups