cellcard cellcard cellcard

Two Japanese held over murder

Buth Reaksmey Kongkea / Khmer Times Share:
Police detain one of the Japanese nationals accused of murder. Siem Reap Police

Siem Reap provincial police on Sunday arrested two Japanese nationals who allegedly robbed and killed a Cambodian taxi driver in Puok district.


The murder took place at about 5.30pm on Sunday near National Road 6 in Puok commune.

Major Muth Bunsoeun, district deputy police chief, yesterday identified the suspects as Ishida Reimon, 24, and Naka Kuri Ryuji, 24, both tourists, and the victim as Him Chan, 40, who lived in Siem Reap city.

He said that on Saturday, the two Japanese traveled to Siem Reap city from Poipet city near the Cambodian-Thai border.

Maj Bunsoeun said that on Sunday, they hired the victim to drive them to visit the Angkor Wat Temple and other places in the city.

He said that at about 4.30pm, the Japanese told Mr Chan to take them to visit a market in Puok district.

“But when the car was travelling along a quiet spot, they told the victim to stop so that they could ease themselves,” Maj Bunsoeun said. “When the victim stopped the car, they both caught him and Mr Naka slashed his throat with a vegetable knife, causing him to die instantly.”

“After killing the victim, they stole his properties and dumped the body before fleeing in the taxi,” he added.

Maj Bunsoeun said that the murder was witnessed by a passing motorist who alerted police via his phone.

He said that Mr Ishida drove the victim’s car toward Siem Reap city, but lost control of the vehicle after about 300 metres and hit a villager’s truck.

Maj Bunsoeun said that police officers on motorbikes who went to investigate the murder saw the two men fleeing from the taxi on foot and caught them.

After their arrests, police seized cash believed to have belonged to the victim, two passports and other documents from them.

Colonel Duong Sokha, provincial general crimes department chief, yesterday said that the two Japanese are accused of premeditated murder and face a life sentence each if convicted.

He said they are still being questioned at the provincial police headquarters and will be sent to court today.

Related Posts

Previous Article

Hun Sen receives an honorary doctorate degree

Next Article

EDC reduces daytime energy supply to offset shortage