More than 70 villagers get food poisoning in Prey Veng

Pech Sotheary / Khmer Times No Comments Share:
People stricken with food poisoning on Monday evening. DAP

More than 70 people had food poisoning on Monday evening after consuming Khmer noodle at a funeral in Prey Veng province’s Preah Sdech district.

Horn Rith, deputy director of provincial Health Department, on Wednesday said that the food poisoning occurred on Monday evening when more than 70 villagers joined a seventh day funeral in Boeng Dorl commune and had Khmer noodle.

Mr Rith said that after the food poisoning, most of them had stomachache, diarrhea and vomited.

“A total of 72 people, including the elderly and children got poisoning but now they are recovering and go back home. Only four of them are serious and we ask them to stay in a hospital for a few more days to follow up their health,” he said.

Mr Rith said that officials collected samples of vegetable, Khmer noodle, soup and water and sent it to a laboratory in Phnom Penh.

Interior Minister Sar Kheng visited all the victims in Preah Sdech district’s hospital on Wednesday morning. Mr Kheng also appealed to all the people to be careful while consuming food.

The Health Ministry last month reminded the public to avoid food poisoning by properly preparing food and avoiding toxic chemicals, noting that cases of food poisoning last year decreased when compared to the previous year.

Aing Hoksrun, chief of the ministry’s food safety office, on Saturday said that 12 people died and 203 others were hospitalised in 13 cases of food poisoning, a decrease when compared to 2017’s four deaths and 703 hospitalised in 28 cases.

Share and Like this post

Related Posts

Previous Article

Sweden contributes $268,000 to Arbitration Council

Next Article

Sokhonn stresses double standards