Phnom Penh Municipal Court on Saturday charged 17 people arrested during a drug raid on a popular nightclub last month.
On February 23, police nabbed 312 party-goers and confiscated 50 kilograms of drugs from a popular entertainment centre in Chamkar Mon district.
About 70 people were immediately released after testing negative for drugs, while 231 people were made to sign a contract to seek rehabilitation.
Phnom Penh police chief Lieutenant General Sar Thet said thirteen Chinese nationals arrested during the raid are awaiting deportation.
Court spokesman Sous Vichea Randy said the 17 were charged for drug use, distribution and trafficking.
National Police spokesman Lieutenant General Chhay Kim Khoeun yesterday said police are hunting the ringleaders in charge of drug distribution at the nightclub.
“Our police officers have questioned a number of people in order to find the ringleaders,” Lt Gen Kim Khoeun said. “We are still investigating this case in order to identify everyone involved.”
Additionally, City Hall last week revoked the operational license of nightclub owner.
In a letter, deputy Governor Huot Hai said the owner had failed to comply with a previous agreement made to ensure drugs would not be distributed in the nightclub.
“You failed to implement what was agreed upon with City Hall,” the letter said. “City Hall has decided to annul your license.”
On Thursday, National Police Chief General Neth Savoeun told officers to be fearless in the face of powerful business people.
“Please look into our ambitions and willingness,” Gen Savoeun said. “We must do our jobs. Do not be concerned with powerful men behind the drug business. We must commit, gather evidence and take action.”