Kampong Thom students fall sick

Sen David / Khmer Times No Comments Share:

Nearly 50 Pong Ro Secondary School students in Kampong Thom province’s Stoung district were sent to hospital for food poisoning on Monday, with some still being treated as of yesterday.

Nget Narin, director of the provincial information department, said that on Monday 48 students got food poisoning after consuming food sold at the school’s canteen and were sent to the provincial hospital.

“The students began vomiting after consuming the school’s rice and water,” Ms Narin said. “They were brought to hospital on time. No student died, and they are fine now.”

She noted that it was the first time it happened at the secondary school.

“Local authorities intervened immediately by sending them to hospital,” Ms Narin added. “Their parents have been informed to look after their children.”

She noted that most of the students have been discharged from hospital, while some are still being treated.

“Some of them are better and left the hospital to rest at home,” she said.

Chhun Chhat, Pong Ro commune chief, said five students have yet to be discharged from hospital due to diarrhoea.

“Local authorities came to check on them. The students said they ate rice, water and snacks,” Mr Chhat said. “Officials came to take samples of the food to find what caused the poisoning.”

Provincial Governor Sok Luo on Monday evening visited the students and donated money.

Mr Luo spoke to the school’s staff and food vendors to remind them to keep food served at the school clean and hygienic.

“The school and the sellers must prepare and cook their food well in order to avoid this,” he said.

Last year, 65 Sambour Sakor students in Takeo province were hospitalised after eating fried noodles. Following the students’ recovery, officials found the food they consumed was unhygienic and was contaminated by chemicals.

Meanwhile in Koh Kong province yesterday, workers at the KKN Apparel garment factory fainted after the company’s general emergency alarm was set off.

The National Social Security Fund said 16 women, including five pregnant workers, began panicking and subsequently fainted after the company’s alarm began ringing.

“They were sent to hospital in a timely manner and they are better now. We paid for them all after questioning the garment workers about the incident,” the NSSF said. “They said they heard the alarm and panic ensued. The workers began leaving the factory and began fainting.”

Hai Lai Sun, director of the Kong Kong provincial hospital, said most are still being treated.

“They are being treated at the hospital now, but are feeling better and will be discharged soon,” Mr Lai Sun said.

Share and Like this post

Related Posts

Previous Article

Cambodian students shine at Wuxi Institute of Commerce

Next Article

Declaration signed to combat fake medicine