ana-air canadia-bank Silk-air nissan acleda cab-bank

Mushroom poisoning kills man and sickens four family members

Pav Suy / Khmer Times No Comments Share:
Police officers inspecting a house of a family poisoning from mushroom. Nokor Wat

A man died and four other family members fell sick on Wednesday evening after consuming soup made from wild mushrooms in Preah Vihear province’s Kulen district.

Major Lis Saroeun, district deputy police chief, identified the dead victim as Srey Loun, 67, noting that his son, Srey Ya, 23, is seriously sick in the province’s Makara Hospital.

He said that Mr Loun’s wife Chan Tao and two other children are recovering at the hospital.

Maj Saroeun noted that an investigation showed that the family consumed a poisonous type of forest mushroom.

“One was killed while four others were sent to hospital and are recovering now,” he said. “They ate mushrooms they collected from the forest near their home and when we went to their home we found these in the soup.”

Mr Saroeun noted that there are one or two cases of mushroom poisoning reported in the province each year, especially when they are in season.

According to the police report, Mr Loun collected the mushrooms from the forest and gave it to his wife to make soup.

It noted that half an hour after eating the soup, the father and son started vomiting, had diarrhea and were taken to hospital around midnight when Mr Loun was pronounced dead.

District governor Pang Yiet, Kulen said yesterday that is the season when mushrooms can be found in abundance and people collect them to cook.

“On Wednesday evening I was also given some mushrooms and my wife cooked them,” he said. “But luckily the type of mushroom I got is safe to eat.”

“It is called kachao mushroom and normally it is okay to eat, but I suspect that the affected family ate a different variety which caused the poisoning.

Separately in Preah Sihanouk province, two construction workers are being treated for poisoning in the provincial referral hospital after eating puffer fish in Bey commune, according to the provincial agriculture department.

Department director Nen Chamroeun yesterday said that many people do not know how to prepare and cook this poisonous fish properly.

“The two men were poisoned on October 22,” he noted. “They are construction workers who came to work here from faraway provinces. After they were poisoned, they were sent to the provincial referral hospital.”

Related Posts

Previous Article

Psychology department sees decrease in students

Next Article

Government to send workers to Kuwait