Morocco to deport 141 migrants nabbed at Spanish enclave

Reuters / No Comments Share:
African migrants climb a border fence, as Spanish Civil Guard officers stand under them, during a latest attempt to cross into Spanish territory, between Morocco and Spain's north African enclave of Melilla May 17, 2014. REUTERS/Jesus Blasco de

RABAT (Reuters) – Morocco will deport 141 migrants who were arrested a day earlier as they tried to storm a border fence with the Spanish enclave of Melilla.

One migrant died after falling off the seven-meter high metal barrier on Sunday, while 22 others and 12 security personnel were injured, the interior ministry said.

Around 200 people got over into Melilla and were taken to a reception center, Spanish authorities said. But the rest who failed would be returned to their home countries, Morocco said, without giving details of the nationalities.

Morocco, which other Africans can visit without visas, has become a major gateway for migrants into Europe since Italy’ tougher line and EU aid to the Libyan coastguard curbed the number of people coming from Libya.

More than 6,000 migrants have made it to Melilla and Spain’s nearby territory Ceuta so far this year, according to the UN refugee agency UNHCR.

Others pay smugglers to get them across the 14 km (9 miles) of sea to Spain.

The vast majority of arrivals in Spain are men, primarily from Guinea, Mali and Morocco, the UNHCR says.

Under a bilateral agreement, Spain returned 24 migrants to Morocco on Saturday who had reached the Chafarinas islands, another Spanish territory off the North African coast – and another 116 migrants who had managed to jump the border fence of Ceuta in August.

Share and Like this post

Related Posts

Previous Article

France avoids question on S.Arabia weapons sales

Next Article

Tunisia, France sign cooperation deals worth US$56 million