cellcard cellcard

Lotte seeks fresh start with $44 billion investment plan

Reuters / Share:
A flag bearing the logo of Lotte Hotel flutters at a Lotte Hotel in Seoul, South Korea, March 25, 2016. REUTERS/Kim Hong-Ji

SEOUL (Reuters) – South Korea’s Lotte Group, whose chairman was released from jail this month, has reset a five-year investment plan just two years after its initial announcement, saying it now aims to spend 50 trillion won ($44.05 billion) through 2023.

The group had previously pledged $35.20 billion through 2021 after Chairman Shin Dong-bin apologized for a corruption probe involving his family. However in the intervening years, the chairman’s own legal battles – in which he was jailed in February for bribery and breach of trust – stalled that plan.

“Since we set out our previous investment plan, we’ve been eight months without a chairman,” said a Lotte Corp official, who was not authorized to speak with media and so declined to be identified. “Our revised plan is to tell shareholders and the public that we are resetting our goal and making a fresh start.”

The plan follows other long-term spending pledges from Samsung Group and Hyundai Motor Group, made after the liberal government assumed office in May last year calling on major firms to invest more in the local economy and create jobs.

“Lotte’s investment plan is typical of a Korean family-run conglomerate,” said Park Ju-gun, head of research firm CEO Score. “When a family member emerges from a scandal, the firm announces an investment plan as a sort of gesture.”

Samsung similarly announced a major investment plan in the months after the release from jail of heir Jay Y. Lee, who had also been convicted of bribery.

Previous Article

Experts quench technology fears

Next Article

Saudi sees lucrative deals at summit despite boycotts