Two men charged with attempted murder

Pav Suy / Khmer Times No Comments Share:
The accused opened fire during a gang fight. National Police

Preah Sihanouk Provincial Court on Saturday charged two Chinese suspects with attempted murder months after their escape from a rival gang shooting that left four men injured at a restaurant in Sihanoukville.

Ros Saram, prosecutor of the provincial court, said the two were charged on Saturday with attempted murder.

“They were charged with attempted murder according to Article 199 of the penal code and they were sent to the provincial prison for detention,” Mr Saram said.

The two handguns used in the shooting. National Police

The two accused face ten to 15 years in jail if convicted.

Second Lieutenant Chun Pheng, a Bei commune police officer, said after the incident in July that a group of six and another group of ten people were eating at the restaurant when an argument broke out and members of both groups started punching and kicking each other.

During the fight, the suspects in the smaller group took out guns and fired ten rounds at the other group, injuring four people.

After the shooting, the smaller group left the restaurant and fled on their motorbikes.

Police stationed nearby heard the commotion and rushed to the scene, taking the injured to hospital. The four injured men were identified as Zhang Kun, 39, who was shot twice in the right thigh; Yang Huaihua, 41, who was shot in the right knee and a finger; Yang Junqing, 27, who was wounded on both thighs; and Liu Wei Min, who was hurt on the right thigh.

The provincial police said in a report on Thursday that they thoroughly investigated the case before arresting the two suspects on Wednesday.

The two were identified as Ren Hai Jun, 46, and Wu Hai Zhu, 30.

They purportedly confessed to the shooting, telling police they used two handguns to fire at the other group because they got angry after the victims looked down on them and said bad things about them.

They told police they bought the guns from an unidentified person for $3,800 each.

Provincial police chief Major General Chuon Narin and Kol Phally, chief of the serious crimes bureau, could not be reached for comment yesterday.

Share and Like this post

Related Posts

Previous Article

Lightning kills three farmers in Pursat

Next Article

Husband charged over wife’s beating death