In anticipation of upcoming floods in Kampong Cham province’s Kang Meas district, officials yesterday began relocating 13 wooden houses away from a river bank.
Provincial Governor Kuoch Chamroeun said that more than a dozen families and their homes in Soukong commune are in the process of being relocated.
“The authorities suggested that residents living along the river move,” Mr Chamroeun said. “We suggested that they move to a safer place in order to avoid any incidents.”
Kampong Cham has been hit the hardest by recent floods, resulting in 14 deaths in the province.
Provincial authorities yesterday continued to distribute provisions to 819 families living in Stung Trang district impacted by the floods.
The Water Resources and Meteorology Ministry yesterday warned that the water level in the Mekong river in Kampong Cham is reaching the danger zone.
However, the ministry noted that Mekong river water levels in Stung Treng and Kratie provinces have begun to recede.
The National Committee for Disaster Management reported that about 30 people have died in the floods so far this year.
The floods affected 9,000 hectares of crops, damaging at least 3,000 hectares, NCDM said. It added that more than 90,000 people have been affected, with more than 8,000 displaced.
On Tuesday, the Health Ministry issued its safety guidelines for those affected by the floods. The ministry fears those affected could contract dengue fever and other illness.
The guidelines include eating well-cooked food, drinking clean water and regularly washing with soap.
The ministry noted that shelter should be checked for snakes and insects, and that surrounding areas must be cleansed of dirt and debris. Wells must be repaired before use and toilets should always be present, it added.