Phnom Penh Police yesterday said a person who was initially suspected of being involved in a brazen daylight robbery of an RHB Indochina bank branch last week has been released following inquiries.
Eng Sorphea, penal bureau chief, said the unnamed person was brought in for questioning on Thursday and was freed after police concluded the person was not involved in the crime.
“We questioned him because he was wearing the same coloured clothing as the suspects, but we allowed him to go home,” Mr Sorphea said. “Police officials are still investigating the case.”
On Thursday, masked men came into the bank’s branch on Mao Tse Tong Boulevard in Chamkar Mon district brandishing guns.
Video footage circulated online showed the five men wearing helmets and pointing guns at a bank security guard before stashing cash into a bag while behind a teller’s counter.
The National Police reported on its website that the robbers made off with $100,000.
Chea Phalarin, Amret Microfinance Institution CEO, said yesterday that the general public shouldn’t be worried.
Banks have increased security measures to prevent robberies from occurring, he said.
“This robbery case was small, and the amount of money is small compared to the bank’s assets,” Mr Phalarin said. “In addition, each bank operating in the country is insured for all risks.”