cellcard cellcard

Woman charged over confinement

Buth Reaksmey Kongkea / Khmer Times Share:

Phnom Penh Municipal Court yesterday charged a Cambodian woman who helped her Nigerian boyfriend cruelly confine a countryman in a bid to extort $5,000 from him in Sen Sok district’s Kraing Thnong commune.

Major Sok Savuth, a district police officer, identified the accused as San Sonita, 23, a waitress at a French-owned restaurant in Daun Penh district.

She was charged with being an accomplice to unlawful confinement, cruelty, and threats accompanied by extortion and faces up to five years in prison if convicted.

Maj Savuth said that Ms Sonitha was arrested on Sunday and is being detained in Prey Sar prison.

He identified the victim as Oroegbu Eche Andrew, 46, a Nigerian tourist.

Maj Savuth said that according to Mr Oroegbu’s police report, he met the accused in Chamka Mon district at about 6pm on August 11.

He said the victim claimed that Ms Sonitha persuaded him to go to her boyfriend’s rental apartment in Sen Sok district’s Kraing Thnuong commune.

Maj Savuth said that upon arriving at the apartment, the victim was caught by four unidentified Nigerians and confined in a room.

“After catching and confining the victim, the men demanded money from him to secure his release,” he said. “They unlawfully confined Mr Oroegbu from August 11 to Saturday, during which time they beat and tortured him and kept asking him to give them $5,000 in exchange for his release.”

“Mr Oroegbu suffered serious injuries on his face, shoulder, hands, and back,” Maj Savuth added.

He said that at about 6.30pm on Saturday, his captors forgot to lock the room and the victim fled the apartment and sought help from security guards who took him to lodge a police report.

Maj Savuth said that Ms Sonita was arrested the next day, but her boyfriend and the three other men remain at large.

He added that police are now looking for the four men.

Previous Article

Vietnamese tried for trafficking 110 kilos of cocaine from Nicaragua

Next Article

UNFPA Pledges to Continue Cooperation with Gov’t