cellcard cellcard cellcard

Three Chinese arrested over armed robbery

Buth Reaksmey Kongkea / Khmer Times Share:
The Chinese nationals. Fresh News

Siem Reap provincial police yesterday arrested three Chinese nationals who tried to rob a money transfer and jewellery shop owner and his family at gunpoint outside their house in Thmar Puok district.

District police chief Colonel Tep Pumsen identified the suspects as Le Xiaosi, 38, Hu Ming Cha, 43, and Zhang Yong Sheng, 48.

Col Pumsen said that at about 7pm on Tuesday, the three men parked their car near the victims’ house in the district’s in O’Taprak Puok commune and waited for the family to return from their shop.

He identified the victims as Dim Vicheara, 26, his wife Chou Rachna, 25, and his aunt Tao Sorphea, 44, who returned to their car with the money and jewellery from the shop at about 7.30pm.

Col Pumsen said that Ms Sorphea, who was in the rear seat, got out of the car to open the gate of the house.

“When she stepped out, Mr Ming Cha intercepted her and hit her on the head with a gun, but she was not seriously hurt,” he said. “The other two suspects then went to the car and started smashing its mirrors with steel rods.”

The suspects are arrested after they fled the crime scene in Siem Reap. Fresh News

“They then ordered Mr Vicheara and Ms Sorphea to hand over their money and the jewellery,” Col Pumsen added.

He said that the victims started shouting for help and neighbours rushed to the scene.

Col Pumsen said the three suspects ran to their car and fled, adding that Mr Vicheara took his wife to a nearby clinic before lodging a police report.

He said that police then searched and arrested the suspects at about midnight in Siem Reap city.

Col Vicheara said that police seized a Camry car, a gun and several bullets from the suspects.

Brigadier General Phoeng Chendarithy, provincial deputy police chief, said that the three men are accused of theft with aggravating circumstances and unauthorised possession of a weapon.

He said they are still being questioned and will be sent to Siem Reap Provincial Court today.

Previous Article

Warehouse raided for smuggled goods

Next Article

Two cops held over death threat