Stung Treng provincial authorities yesterday evacuated nearly 100 more families in Stung Treng city due to continued flooding caused by rising water levels in the Mekong river.
Provincial Hall spokesman Men Kong said the 80 families were evacuated to higher ground in the town and that authorities were trying to evacuate more.
Last week, Stung Treng provincial authorities evacuated 1,289 families, or roughly 5,000 people, from four communes along the Sekong river following rising water levels caused by the collapse of a major dam in neighbouring Laos which left 19 dead and hundreds missing.
Mr Kong said those families could not return to their homes yet because the water level was still rising in some places. According to provincial authorities, the water level in the Mekong river yesterday had risen to 10.77 meters, which is slightly above the danger level of 10.7 meters.
Flooding has now affected Preah Bat, Sras Russy, Stung Treng and Samakkia communes in the town due to continuing rainfall, authorities said.
“The provincial administration has warned of continued flooding,” a statement from the Provincial Hall said. “All local authorities must be on standby to evacuate more people to safety.”
The Water Resources Ministry yesterday forecast that the water level in the Upper Mekong river will continue to rise over the next few days because of heavy rainfall in Thailand and Laos.
Water Resources Minister Lim Kean Hor said the level of the Mekong river in Cambodia is expected to rise to 11.4 meters in Stung Treng on Friday, above the danger level of 10.70.
In Kratie, the level is expected to reach 22.15 meters on Saturday, above the danger level of 22 metres, while in Kampong Cham, levels will reach 15.25 metres by Sunday, above the safe level of 15.2 metres.
“Since we have forecast that the water level in the Mekong river will increase in the next few days, we call on all relevant ministries and authorities to be on alert to prevent any untoward incidents,” Mr Kean Hor said.