More than 30 workers fainted at the Kai Neng leather products factory in Kampong Chhnang province on Saturday in an episode sparked when one of them collapsed with a fever.
The National Social Security Fund said a worker fainted at the factory, causing panic among workers nearby.
“After seeing their co-worker faint, they started to feel shocked and lost consciousness one-by-one,” the NSSF said.
All were set to emergency departments at various hospitals and have recovered, the NSSF noted.
A police officer in Kampong Tralach district, who declined to be named, confirmed that the chaos occurred when a female worker suffered a seizure due to a fever. People in poor health nearby started to faint in shock, too.
The employer immediately approved a day off to prevent an increase in the number of fainting workers, he said.
“We sent 15 workers to Te Vanna clinic and the 20 workers to Oudong Referral Hospital,” the officer said. “All the workers recovered quickly after treatment in hospital.”
The NSSF confirmed that 35 workers were sent for emergency treatment in different hospitals.
The NSSF will cover the cost of taking the workers to hospital and their treatment.
More than 1,600 workers fainted in 22 factories in 2017, an increase of more than 400, the NSSF said in a recent report. Almost all were women.
NSSF director Ouk Samvithya has urged all factories to regularly inspect and maintain ventilation systems before workers enter the building, and to ensure the management of chemical fumes inside and outside the building.