Foreign girls dead in ‘overdose’

Pav Suy / Khmer Times No Comments Share:
Wikimedia/Rotellam1 CC BY SA

Two young foreigners died from a suspected drug overdose in Kampot province in the early hours of yesterday morning.

British national Natalie Seymour, 22, and Canadian Abbey Amisola, 27, had been staying at the Monkey Republic guesthouse.

Provincial police chief Mao Chanmathurith said the two young women died of a pharmaceutical drug overdose, rejecting any possibility they had been murdered.

“There were no marks on them or any evidence suggesting they were killed,” he said. “They died after overdosing on medicines that they took themselves.

“Their bodies have been sent to Phnom Penh.”

A senior local police officer who declined to be named said the pair may have been suffering from food poisoning before taking the medicine.

“We found pills for headaches and dizziness at the scene,” he said. “A few of their friends came and told us the girls had eaten something bad and had diarrhoea and headaches, so we think they took too much medicine.”

The officer ruled out any suggestion they may have committed suicide together.

“We cannot say it was a suicide because they called for help from guesthouse staff at around 3am,” he said. “They were sent to the provincial hospital where they were pronounced dead.

“It was definitely not murder because we did not find any marks or bruises on their bodies.”

The officer said food poisoning leading to an overdose was the most likely cause of death, but no tests had been carried out on the food in the girls’ stomachs.

Their bodies have been sent to the Khmer-Soviet Friendship Hospital in Phnom Penh for the relevant embassies to take charge of, he added.

Related Posts

Previous Article

Teen charged with fraud

Next Article

PM blasts Trump over interference