BANGKOK (Bangkok Post) – A man who drove migrant labourers to and from work has died after catching COVID-19, as the government reported 365 new infections.
His death raised the number of fatalities from the disease in Thailand to 66. The tally of confirmed cases had risen to 9,331 as of yesterday.
Taweesilp Visanuyothin, the Centre for COVID-19 Situation Administration spokesman, said the latest fatality was a 63-year-old man who drove foreign labourers to their jobs and back to their accommodation in Samut Sakhon.
The man was admitted to a hospital in the province on December 27 and pronounced dead on Tuesday from multiple organ failure, he said.
Dr Taweesilp said health officials working in the cluster of foreign workers in Samut Sakhon were intent on stopping the spread of COVID-19 to other factories and houses of workers.
The province had more than 10,000 factories, most of them small with fewer than 100 employees. Surveys had revealed migrant workers staying in many locations, but largely in Muang district.
“We will go and check all these places,” the spokesman said.
Meanwhile, another case of COVID-19 has been found in this northern province – a male employee of a music cafe visited by a 25-year-old woman who has tested positive for the virus.
Provincial governor Charoenrit Sanguansat said the woman admitted she had visited five entertainment places in Chiang Mai town before she fell sick.
All five venues had been ordered closed and their staff ordered to self-quarantine, he said.
Dr Kittiphan Chalom, assistant chief of the provincial public health office, said testing of people deemed high-risk was carried out. Altogether 486 people were tested on Tuesday. All but one came back negative.
The positive result was a 28-year-old Myanmar man of Shan ethnic origin who had been working at the Warm UP Cafe in Chiang Mai for four years.
On December 31, he worked the 3pm-1am shift in the section where the 25-year-old woman and her friends were seated. The area was not well ventilated.