Prime Minister Hun Sen reaffirmed today that the Kingdom will not declare a state of emergency for the “November 28 community incident” because it will paralyze the country’s economy.
In his voice message released today, Mr Hun Sen said he had already drafted a royal decree and a letter to be sent to King Norodom Sihamoni and sub-decrees and letters for the National Assembly and Senate presidents over a declaration of the state of emergency.
“But I don’t want to do so because the national economy will be completely paralyzed. If we lock down the country or any part of the country, such as Phnom Penh or any province, it will hit the economic process,” he said, adding that authorities should work hard to prevent the outbreak with concerted participation by all people.
If the law be in force, the government would have the right to impose several measures, including the prohibition or restriction of freedom of movement, right to freedom of gathering of people and work or occupation.
One more Cambodian man was diagnosed with COVID-19 linked to November 28 community incident, bringing the positive cases to 30 today, the Health Ministry said.
To date, Cambodia’s infection cases stand at 346, with 306 recoveries and 33 active cases.