cellcard cellcard cellcard

Australian Open finalised ‘very soon’, says tournament chief

AFP Share:
The Australian Open is likely to be delayed by two weeks. AFP / Paul Crock

Melbourne, Australia (AFP) – The arrangements for next year’s Australian Open are close to being finalised, the tournament director said on Tuesday, following a report it could be cancelled over coronavirus difficulties.

Tennis Australia CEO Craig Tiley said details of the event, whose January 18 start date has been the subject of intense speculation, should be settled “very soon”.

“We are confident we will be in a position to finalise details for the Australian Open 2021 very soon,” Tiley tweeted.

“Everything will require approval and agreement from the Victorian (state) government before it can be confirmed,” he added.

Victoria’s sports minister last week said he expected the year’s first Grand Slam to be delayed for one or two weeks.

The tournament’s fate appears to hinge on when the state government will allow players to arrive, and whether they’ll be able to train during their mandatory 14-day quarantine.

Tiley had originally wanted players to fly in from mid-December so they could undergo quarantine before playing traditional warm-up events before the Grand Slam.

But state premier Dan Andrews reportedly only wants players to arrive from early January — making it impossible to play the build-up events before a January 18 start.

Related Posts

Previous Article

Government bans sports activities until Dec 15

Next Article

Fulham shock Leicester to escape relegation zone, West Ham go fifth