cellcard cellcard cellcard

Angkor International Half Marathon to be held next month as planned

Taing Rinith / Khmer Times Share:
Runners begin the Angkor International Half Marathon last year. KT/ Yeun Punlue

The organisers of the Angkor Wat International Half Marathon said this year’s edition of the race will go ahead next month as planned.

This announcement was made by Vath Chamroeun, secretary-general of the National Olympic Committee of Cambodia, who said that that the race will allow only small groups of between 20 to 30 runners to gather. The event will accommodate hundreds of local and international runners, a reduction compared to previous years, due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.

According to Chamroeun, they are expecting fewer participants because of the pandemic. He added that some events connected to the race, like concerts, will have to be cancelled due to health concerns.

Last year, there were more than 12,000 participants from 80 different countries who raced. About $144,611 generated from the Angkor International Half Marathon was donated to Angkor Hospital for Children, the Cambodian Red Cross, Kantha Bopha Children’s Hospital, Cambodia Trust, Handicap International Belgium and the Hearts of Gold NGO.

Last year’s Angkor Wat International Half Marathon was won by Saeki Makino of Japan (men) and Nic Amhlaoibh Maire of Ireland (women).

There are six categories of the race: 21km wheelchair, 21km half marathon, 10km, 10km artificial arm/leg, 5km and the 3km fun run.

Related Posts

Previous Article

Australia providing $24 million for Indo-Pacific fight against infectious diseases

Next Article

COVID-19 infection cross 57.8 million infections globally as deaths cross more than 1.34 million. Here is the ASEAN status as of Saturday 7am, November 21, 2020