cellcard cellcard

Two Chinese nationals on the run after escaping quarantine

Khann Chanvirak / Khmer Times Share:
The two Chinese are still on the run after escaping from a quarantine centre in the capital. Dap-News

Two Chinese nationals have reportedly escaped from a hotel in Phnom Penh during their quarantine.

Ministry of Health spokeswoman Or Vandine said the two men were placed in a centre upon their arrival at the Phnom Penh International Airport on September 8.

However, she said they fled the hotel quarantine centre on Wednesday afternoon while awaiting COVID-19 test results.

The men were identified as Jiang Jiajie, 23 and Zhu Jun 32, who both arrived in Cambodia at 11am on September 8 before being quarantined at a designated hotel in Phnom Penh.

Vandine said the authorities are still looking for the duo – noting that although they tested negative for the virus, they are still required to undergo mandatory quarantine.

On August 30, The Minister of Health Mam Bun Heng requested that capital-provincial governors deploy security forces and monitor activities outside quarantine centres.

The minister said that these forces are essential in order to ensure that people complete the 14-day quarantine in the level one and two quarantine centres and hotels designated by health officials.

“If any person does not comply with the measures set by the ministry, the relevant authorities must enforce the law upon those who violate them, to prevent the outbreak of disease,” he said.The Ministry of Health has already had to deal with three cases of people escaping from quarantine so far.

The first case involved a 36-year-old Cambodian-American woman who arrived in Cambodia on July 15.

After testing negative, she was placed in mandatory quarantine in a hotel in Phnom Penh.

However, she escaped from her room at around midnight on July 18.

Later that evening, the authorities found her in a guesthouse in Kampong Cham city and she was sent to complete her quarantine at the Mekong Hotel.

Dap-News

The second case was of two men, aged 22 and 33, who had returned from Malaysia on July 23.

The men fled from a health centre in Prey Veng province on August 3.

Later that night, the authorities found them in a house in Prey Veng province, and placed them back in quarantine.

The third case was of a Vietnamese woman and her 13-year-old son, who escaped from a quarantine centre in Preah Sdach referral hospital in Prey Veng Province.

They fled to Kampong Chhnang province where they were later found.

Vandine said that the reasoning behind the escapes was that people had tested negative and therefore fled. However, she reiterated that it was imperative to complete quarantine in order to ensure they were free of the virus, as there were cases of  people  who had testeded positive on the second or third time being tested.

Meanwhile, according to the VNExpress on Tuesday, Vietnamese authorities recorded three Vietnamese nationals who returned to the country from Cambodia as testing COVID-19 positive.

The statement said that COVID-19 patient’s 1052 and 1053 were a 35-year-old man and his two year old son who travelled back from Cambodia via the Moc Bai border gate in Tay Ninh province on August 26.

The pair were first tested as negative of the virus, before the second tests returned positive, the statement said.

Authorities reported that patient 1054 was a 26-year-old Vietnamese national who also returned from Cambodia on August 25.

She tested positive on the second round of testing upon her arrival.

Vandine denied yesterday that the three were infected in Cambodia.

Related Posts

Previous Article

ASEAN coronavirus updates as of Friday 7am, September 11

Next Article

The ‘world’s loneliest elephant’ may find new home in Cambodia