cellcard cellcard cellcard

Ministry to build four quarantine centres

Khann Chanvirak / Khmer Times Share:
Hun Sen Borey 100 Khnong High School is being used as a quarantine centre in Phnom Penh. KT/Siv Channa

The Ministry of Health plans to build four new quarantine centres in an area about one hectare in size.

Ministry of Health secretary of state York Sambath said yesterday, during a meeting of the Inter-Ministerial Commission To Combat COVID-19, that the Ministry is currently working with Phnom Penh City Hall to build four quarantine centres in the near future,

“The buildings, which will be constructed soon, will accommodate 800-900 people in quarantine. The buildings will have primary care rooms, and permanent, specialised doctors in case of emergencies,” she said.

“The four new buildings will be used as a singular location for Cambodians who are returning home from overseas.”

Sambath has said that since May 20, when Cambodia allowed foreigners from six previously banned countries to enter, 146 out of 40,000 passengers tested positive for COVID-19.

Currently, people arriving in Cambodia can quarantine in five different centres such as Hun Sen Chumpouvorn High School, which will be returned to the Ministry of Education at the beginning of next semester. Hun Sen Borey 100 Khnong High School, the Royal Air Force airport, Phnom Penh Thmey Teacher Training College and Samdech Techo Hun Sen Pochentong Secondary School, will all continue to function as quarantine centres.

In related news, Cambodia reported one more imported case of COVID-19 yesterday, a 30-year-old French man, raising the Kingdom’s total number to 274.

The Ministry of Health said that the Frenchman travelled from France via Taiwan and arrived at the Phnom Penh International Airport on August 30.

He was diagnosed with the virus yesterday and is receiving medical treatment at the Khmer Soviet Friendship Hospital in the capital.

Eighty passengers who were on the same flight are being closely monitored as they continue their mandatory 14-day quarantine. Of the group, 64 have been placed in hotels in Phnom Penh and 16 have been placed in the Hun Sen Borey 100 Khnong High School.

The 81 passengers included 29 Cambodians, 17 French, 16 Americans, 11 Taiwanese, five Canadians, one Irish, one Russian, and one Chinese

The Ministry statement has also said that a 28-year-old Chinese man has recovered and was discharged from hospital on Sunday after testing negative twice. He arrived in the Kingdom on August 9.

Meanwhile, the National Election Committee (NEC) issued guidelines yesterday on measures to prevent and control the spread of COVID-19.

The NEC instructed the Director of the Capital Provincial Election Secretariat to follow the guidelines of subordinate officials to make sure the polling stations are prepared and meet the Ministry of Health’s guidelines.

The number of Cambodia’s COVID-19 cases remains at 274, which includes 174 Cambodians, 40 French, 18 Chinese, 13 Malaysians, eight Indonesians, seven Americans, five British, three Vietnamese, three Canadians, one Belgian, one Indian, and one Kazakh.

Of them, 266, or 97.08 percent, of the total cases have recovered, with seven cases still active.

Related Posts

Previous Article

Political comeback bid: Former opposition party leaders seek to form party

Next Article

Five former police officers on trial after soliciting bribes