Three Cambodian men who returned from Indonesia late last month recently tested positive for COVID-19 while two others recovered, bringing the total number of infections in the country to 251 and recoveries to 219.
In a statement issued yesterday, the Health Ministry said three Cambodian men, aged between 23 and 26, from Tboung Khmum province were aboard an Indonesian flight which arrived in the Kingdom on July 23. Upon their arrival, they were transported to their province’s quarantine centre where they tested positive on their 13th day of quarantine.
The trio has been placed in isolation and is receiving treatment at the Preah Norodom Sihanouk-Tboung Khmum Referral Hospital.
The ministry statement also reported that two Cambodian men, aged 28 and 32, from Phnom Penh and Battambang province have received the all-clear from the virus on Monday after their test results came out negative twice. Both were passengers who arrived in the capital on July 19 aboard a flight from Russia.
They were discharged yesterday from Chak Angre Krom Health Centre, it said.
With the recent tallies, only 32 cases remain active in the Kingdom, with zero deaths.
Meanwhile, Oum Leng, chief of Kandal province’s Sitbo commune in Takhmao city, sent a report to the district governor after concerns arose in the commune following the diagnosis of COVID-19 in one of their residents.
According to the report, the patient was identified as a female Blue Helmet who returned to the commune on July 30, after which she proceeded to distribute cash to the elderly and children of the village, as well as cooked food for the monks. It furthered that the woman earlier this month also sought treatment at Chey Chumnas Hospital after feeling unwell.
While the Ministry of Health yesterday confirmed that a 27-year-old Cambodian woman from the province tested positive for the virus on Sunday, weeks after her return from a UN peacekeeping mission in Mali on July 10, it said the ministry would still have to confirm whether the report is accurate.
The review comes after ministry spokeswoman Or Vandine said the woman, after being questioned by health officials, rebuffed the report and said she had undergone a self-quarantine upon the doctor’s orders.
“She told the health officials that she followed the doctor’s instructions by staying and eating in a separate room, wearing a protective mask and practising caution when using the restroom,” said Vandine. “She said she was not in close contact with any of her family members and did not go out.”
Amid the investigation, Vandine said the ministry continues to monitor the health status of the patient and her family as it cannot overlook the possibility of a COVID-19 transmission.
Kandal Provincial Health Department director Kuy Bunthoeun said yesterday that the report sent by Leng was announced rather hastily despite his claims being inaccurate.
Bunthoeun said the health department already tested nine of the woman’s family members and they were all cleared from virus infection. Despite the negative results, all of them remain under quarantine. Health professionals, he added, are closely monitoring the situation to prevent a virus spread.
“We are continuing to trace any person she had come into contact with since her arrival,” said Bunthoeun.
According to Vandine, all 80 Cambodian Blue Helmets who returned from Mali tested negative for the virus after the first round of screening, with eight testing positive for the virus later.
The woman in Kandal was the ninth of the returning Blue Helmets to test positive for the virus. She is now receiving treatment at Khmer-Soviet Friendship Hospital.
As an added precaution, the Ministry of Health recalled the other peacekeepers who are quarantining at home to the Kampong Speu Referral Hospital where they will undergo another round of supervised quarantine.
- Tags: COVID-19 in Cambodia